29 de nov. de 2014

Ceticismo Contra a Previsão do Tempo -- Skepticism Against the Weather Forecast

[read the english version of this post below]


Essa postagem pretendo que seja pequena. Ela só refere a um conjunto de pequenas coisas que o meu ceticismo contra a previsão do tempo me levou a descobrir.

Eu normalmente não acredito em previsões do tempo de mais de 3 dias: elas frequentemente mudam ou erram. Para reforçar o meu viés confirmacional, essa semana, na quarta-feira, o Google disse que nevaria na próxima segunda. Eu não acreditei: disse "só acredito vendo", referenciando o São Tomé (e o Tentação, que passava no SBT nas tardes de domingo -- isso ainda existe?). Na hora, por acaso, me perguntei como se diz São Tomé em inglês... qual foi a minha surpresa ao descobrir que na verdade é um nome bastante usado no Brasil como se fosse em português: Thomas. Essa foi a primeira pequena coisa que descobri.

Hoje olhei a previsão denovo: o Google "transferiu a neve" pra quarta-feira que vem. Imediatamente pensei: "não ponho minha mão no fogo por isso". O mesmo tipo de pensamento me veio à mente: isso se diz em inglês? (tenho percebido que, apesar de o inglês ser a língua em que eu tenho quase que inconscientemente pensado ultimamente, muita coisa simplesmente me vem em português O__o) Uma busca no Google me deu a impressão de que não (apesar das citações traduzidas de um tal de Iniesta, claramente hispanófono, terem figurado entre os primeiros resultados). Essa foi a segunda pequena coisa que descobri.

Me resta agora esperar: algumas outras previsões do tempo estão marcando neve desde o meio de novembro....... não preciso dizer que ela não veio, né?

R$

--

I intend to make this post a small one. It refers only to a set of small things that my skepticism against the weather forecast made me find out.
I normally don't believe in weather forecasts that range more than 3 days: they often change or are wrong. To reinforce my confirmation bias, this week, on Wednesday, Google was saying it would snow on next Monday. I didn't believe: just told "I will not believe", referring to Saint Thomas (and to a Brazilian Television show called "Tentação" [Temptation] that aired on Sunday afternoons -- unfortunately, there is only an article about it in the Portuguese Wikipedia). At the same moment, by chance, I asked myself how to say Saint Thomas in English [the name in Portuguese that I was actually thinking about is São Tomé]... and I was really surprised to find out that it actually is a very common name in Brasil, used as if it were in Portuguese: Thomas. This was the first small thing I found out.

Today I looked at the forecast again: Google "transferred the snow" to next Wednesday. I immediately thought: [in Portuguese] "I won't put my hand on fire for that". The same kind of thought came into my mind: is this something people say in English? (I've been noticing that, although English is the language in which I've been almost unconsciously thinking lately, many things simply come in Portuguese to my mind O__o) A Google search gave me the impression that it is not (except for the translated quotations from some person called Iniesta, clearly a Spanish speaker, that appeared in the first results). This was the second small thing I found out.

Now I can only wait: some other forecasts were already saying it would snow in the middle of november....... don't need to say it didn't, right?

R$

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário